Wondering how to add some automation to your reminders to students in D2L Brightspace? Learn more about creating Intelligent Agents through this great TLC workshop on August 19, 2022 or through these step-by-step instructions.
D2L is a cloud-based learning management system that updates each month with new features and improvements. This page summarizes these monthly improvements to keep instructors up-to-date and provide information to improve course content.
Pulse Mobile App
- To help improve the flexibility of push notification, users will be able to choose which push notifications they receive. Previously, it was not possible to limit or control push notifications.
ReadSpeaker Text to Speech Technology
- This option is now available in Discussions.
- Instructors who teach multiple courses can now copy assignments to other courses. To copy assignments, select the down arrow next to the assignment name and select “Copy to Other Courses”.
- “No Time Limit” is now a quiz timing option and has become the default time setting (previously default was 120 minutes). If a time limit is desired, instructors must manually select the desired time.
Display Personal Pronouns
- Faculty and students now have the ability to display their personal pronouns in D2L. Learn how to set up by visiting: https://tl.ssc.edu/display-your-personal-pronouns-in-d2l/
- When evaluating student assignments using D2L’s annotation feature, instructor can now use the new undo/redo button. Previously, the only way to remove the annotation was to use the eraser tool.
Media Library Updates
- Early updates shown below provide information on the new streaming Media Library.
- Under Insert Stuff, the Media Library is now an option. This allows instructors to upload video in multiple places in D2L.
- Instructors now have the ability to restore a quiz they may have deleted in error.
- Under Quizzes > More Actions > There is now a restore option.
Video/Audio and the New Media Library
- Under the advanced editing option on any video uploaded to D2L, there is now an optimize for streaming button.
Pulse Mobile App
- Brightspace Pulse users can now use @mention push notifications. Originally, @mentions came through the LMS but were only visible if the user opened Pulse and viewed their Subscriptions tab under Notifications. Now, the new functionality sends a push notification to the user when they are @mentioned.
- Updates and subscriptions in the Pulse App are now aligned to show the same items as the Alert Bell in D2L.
- The Create Agent page has a new modernized user interface.
- Subject line of intelligent agent emails now supports 128 characters.
- Course announcements now have a copy feature.
New Media Library
- A streaming media library is now available for D2L courses. New videos posted to a D2L course will be placed in this streaming media library. Videos previous uploaded to D2L will not be automatically transferred to this new media library, so instructors will have to manually transfer.
Workflow improvements for Media
- When creating new video and audio, instructors no longer must wait for the uploaded media file to process. While the media file remains unavailable during processing, instructors can navigate away to work on other tasks. When processing is complete, instructor will be notified.
Content – Print and Download Buttons
- The Print and Download buttons are now better positioned when viewing content within a module.
Video/Audio and New Media Library
- Table of Contents: Instructors can apply meaningful segments to larger videos.
- Audio Generated Closed Caption: Instructors can select language, with the ability to edit.
- Video Editing: Minor video editing is available – Seek, Mark and Cut.
How to implement?
- Within a module in your course, select Upload/Create, then Video and Audio.
- Video will take a few minutes to process after uploading.
- Select Advance Settings after the video uploads to gain access to these new features.
- See Full Directions (SSC uses Classic Content).
- Log on to D2L
- Find your course using the ‘My Courses’ block or the ‘Waffle Board’
Once you are in your Course Shell:
- On the Blue Navigation bar Select : CONTENT
- On the left hand side of the page select: ADD MODULE
- Name the Module: Course Syllabus
Click on Course Syllabus Module for next steps
- Use the blue ‘Upload/Create’ box to add your Syllabus
Once you are done on the bottom of the page in D2L click on ‘Save’.
The Syllabus will show up as a named Module in course content page.
What is Quality Matters?
Quality Matters (QM), is an internationally recognized, standards-based program, which offers faculty quality assurance in online and hybrid course design with a focus on continuous improvement.
The Quality Matters program is rubric-based. The 43 standards are specific to higher education, backed by research, and are nationally recognized as a means to improve course design.
South Suburban College has a paid membership with Quality Matters.
Membership includes various resources, research and professional development opportunities.
How other Institutions Use Quality Matters?
Numerous national and local institutions use Quality Matters as a measure for quality courses. See Chicagoland institutions using Quality Matters.
Official course reviews can be completed in two ways:
- For a fee, the institution pays Quality Matters to review each course independently.
- 3 certified QM peer reviewers from other institutions review each course with a turnaround time of 3-6 weeks per course.
- The institution pays for QM peer review certified training for SSC faculty and/or staff.
- These internal certified QM peer reviewers review courses for quality.
Course (and complete programs) that are Quality Matters certified are listed on the QM website. Institutions can promote these courses as well to demonstrate to their commitment to high quality courses.
How can we leverage SSC’s Quality Matters membership?
- Create your Quality Matters faculty account. Visit Quality Matters.
- Select Higher Education Tab.
- Sign up for free training webinars or professional development sessions.
- Self-enroll in the free, self-pace course “Elements of Quality Matters“.
- Remember to send your certification of completion to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Self-evaluate your own course using SSC’s quality course checklist.
- Download SSC Light Course Design Checklist – (SSC login is required).
Nos complace ofrecer compatibilidad con el idioma español en D2L Brightspace.
All Inclusive Access and Cengage Unlimited materials are always released in D2L Brightspace to the instructor one week before the start of the class. This is always done on a Sunday.
For more information please contact the SSC Bookstore.
Instantly create an audio version of courses, PDF, ebooks, web research, training materials, assignments, and more.
We have empowered students with text-to-speech accessibility technology for learning. Text to speech can help with understanding. Tools such as text-only mode, page masks, enlarged text, and select text provide support for diverse learning styles.
Readspeaker webReader and docReader enhance:
- Student Engagement
- Accessibility and Accommodations Compliance
- Literacy Support
- Digital Inclusion
- Course Completion
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Support of ESL/ELL with Translation Tools
Not sure how to access Readspeaker webReader in D2L Brightspace?
Looking for text to speak support with PDF, Microsoft Word or Excel files inside of D2L Brightspace? Learn more about Readspeaker docReader.
Have you ever wanted to re-share a discussion post with a student or follow up on a discussion point with your instructor? Discussion tags or @Mentions make this easy! Watch this video to learn more.
Add your pronouns to D2L Brightspace
- Click you Profile Image or Name in the upper right corner.
- Click Account Settings from the Personal Menu.
- Check the box next to Allow others to see my pronouns.
- Select Use different pronouns.
- Enter your personal pronouns in the text box.
- Click Save and Close.
Where will the pronouns display?
- Discussion Topic
- Assignment Evaluation
- Discussions Evaluation
Students will see pronouns in:
- Discussion Topic
Updated: August 8, 2022
Got questions? This page is full of resources to the questions folks are asking most frequently about 2022SU. Don’t forget to check for additional resources at https://tl.ssc.edu/ or email email@example.com for additional assistance.