D2L is a cloud-based learning management system that updates each month with new features and improvements. This page summarizes these monthly improvements to keep instructors up-to-date and provide information to improve course content.
Pulse Mobile App
- To help improve the flexibility of push notification, users will be able to choose which push notifications they receive. Previously, it was not possible to limit or control push notifications.
ReadSpeaker Text to Speech Technology
- This option is now available in Discussions.
- Instructors who teach multiple courses can now copy assignments to other courses. To copy assignments, select the down arrow next to the assignment name and select “Copy to Other Courses”.
- “No Time Limit” is now a quiz timing option and has become the default time setting (previously default was 120 minutes). If a time limit is desired, instructors must manually select the desired time.
Display Personal Pronouns
- Faculty and students now have the ability to display their personal pronouns in D2L. Learn how to set up by visiting: https://tl.ssc.edu/display-your-personal-pronouns-in-d2l/
- When evaluating student assignments using D2L’s annotation feature, instructor can now use the new undo/redo button. Previously, the only way to remove the annotation was to use the eraser tool.
Media Library Updates
- Early updates shown below provide information on the new streaming Media Library.
- Under Insert Stuff, the Media Library is now an option. This allows instructors to upload video in multiple places in D2L.
- Instructors now have the ability to restore a quiz they may have deleted in error.
- Under Quizzes > More Actions > There is now a restore option.
Video/Audio and the New Media Library
- Under the advanced editing option on any video uploaded to D2L, there is now an optimize for streaming button.
Pulse Mobile App
- Brightspace Pulse users can now use @mention push notifications. Originally, @mentions came through the LMS but were only visible if the user opened Pulse and viewed their Subscriptions tab under Notifications. Now, the new functionality sends a push notification to the user when they are @mentioned.
- Updates and subscriptions in the Pulse App are now aligned to show the same items as the Alert Bell in D2L.
- The Create Agent page has a new modernized user interface.
- Subject line of intelligent agent emails now supports 128 characters.
- Course announcements now have a copy feature.
New Media Library
- A streaming media library is now available for D2L courses. New videos posted to a D2L course will be placed in this streaming media library. Videos previous uploaded to D2L will not be automatically transferred to this new media library, so instructors will have to manually transfer.
Workflow improvements for Media
- When creating new video and audio, instructors no longer must wait for the uploaded media file to process. While the media file remains unavailable during processing, instructors can navigate away to work on other tasks. When processing is complete, instructor will be notified.
Content – Print and Download Buttons
- The Print and Download buttons are now better positioned when viewing content within a module.
Video/Audio and New Media Library
- Table of Contents: Instructors can apply meaningful segments to larger videos.
- Audio Generated Closed Caption: Instructors can select language, with the ability to edit.
- Video Editing: Minor video editing is available – Seek, Mark and Cut.
How to implement?
- Within a module in your course, select Upload/Create, then Video and Audio.
- Video will take a few minutes to process after uploading.
- Select Advance Settings after the video uploads to gain access to these new features.
- See Full Directions (SSC uses Classic Content).